Same old DC gridlock on TSCA reform

Just moments ago I posted on yet another state’s successful lawmaking on commercial chemicals regulation.  Now, unfortunately, I get to update you on the continued paralysis in Congress on federal TSCA reform.

The Hill reports today that Rep. Shimkus’s floating of “draft bills” within his subcommitteecongress on Environment and the Economy (of the House Energy and Commerce Committee) has produced little progress.   As blogged earlier, these trial balloons have been shot down by lawmakers and public health and environmental groups as being too soft on industry.

Now Rep. Henry Waxman, the ranking  Democrat on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said at a recent subcommittee  hearing, “I’m not ready to give up, but I do have a suggestion.  I think we should considering scaling back the ambition of this  effort.  Let’s focus on where we can find agreement.  Let’s see if we can return  to the drawing board and come up with a streamlined proposal that can truly be  bipartisan.”

Sigh.

The Hill observes that “the current  Congress has until the end of the year to reach an agreement, experts say, or  risk losing any momentum lawmakers have already achieved when the new Congress  comes in on Jan. 3, 2015.”

This entry was posted in chemical safety regulation, congress, environmental health, public health, synthetic chemicals, TSCA. Bookmark the permalink.