Are you REDDy?

Hello Everyone!EDF

wanted to start off my first blog post with an introduction about the work I will be doing at Cop 19.

The organization I’ll be working with is the Environmental Defense Fund (henceforth EDF). The EDF is one of the 1598 NGOs  that will be present at the event, and works on issues concerning energy and the environment, oceans, ecosystems, and health.My focus will be on indigenous people’s issues as well as issues with Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+).My point person is Chris Meyer, the EDF Outreach manager for the Amazon Basin.

The acronym REDD originally meant Reducing Emissions from Deforestation in Developing Countries – simply stated and possibly more explanatory;  recently, the term was changed to “Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation,” to reflect the harm that carbon emissions presents in forests even when they are not clear-cut.540x452_forest_carbon_initiative_redd

The “plus,” was tacked on in 2007, to REDD+, which relates to more numerous potential strategies that aid forests and the climate, e.g. low-impact logging, tree planting and conservation.

This film, was shown to world leaders at the United Nations and highlights the role of rainforests in climate change:

AOSIS (Association Of Small Island States) has also been an interest of mine. The entire world for someone like myself, born and raised on the tiny Western Pacific island of Saipan, is small – small enough to know almost completely and be affected directly by the air, the water and the land. Islanders know their environment, and can experience their environment more directly than dwellers in the interior of a large continent.

tegua_relocation

It is important to understand how crucial words and language interact in the Cop 19 text/negotiation process. I hope that small voices that may become drowned in the oratory, can be expressed much more soundly in the final written word.

Keep checking back for more blog action,

Heather